Our britchen is wrapped in soft chap leather rolled on the edges to prevent shaving of hair. Width is approximately 3″. Our buckles for adjusting on the hip are tongue buckles not conways. This britchen is designed for the comfort of your mule and designed for easy adjustment. This britchen is designed for easy adjustment with four roller buckles at the hip not Conway buckles.
Why a britchen?
A mule is”V” in the shoulders. Horses are “A” shaped in the shoulders. This is one reason a saddle will move forward on a mule and why a saddle on a horse will move back on a horse.
Why not a crupper?
A crupper will allow a riding saddle to move 2 ½” forward, back, left and right. The major problem with this is going down hill the saddle will move on top of the scapula. The scapula moves up and down like a piston of a car. Picture this every time your saddle sets on the scapula it will make your mule very uncomfortable and sore when the scapula hits the tree of the saddle. A crupper is designed for holding the back straps on a harness crupper is designed for 6 to 8 lbs total. There is no adjustment in a crupper and it is setting on the softest place of the mule. When the mule gets rubbed raw from the crupper you will not be able to use your mule.
Things to remember
- Always adjust your britchen up and down the hip, you have an average of 10” on a mules hip. This will help lessen hair wear on the hip.
- Keep you all you leather well oiled the softer the leather the less a chance of hair wear.
- All mules carry their weight down low their rib cage design makes the cinch slide forward. This will make you saddle slide forward as well.
Tips on looking for a saddle
- Note the design the “D” rings for the cinch must be 7/8 ¾ rigged is will allow the saddle to stay 4” from the leg.
- How do you know what the rigging plate is full rig? Note the pommel if the plate is just under the pommel it is a Full rig. The full rig will sore your mule.
- Skirting must be rounded mules move much different the horse in the hips a square skirt saddle will wear hair on the hip and shorten the stride of your mule. This britchen is made of top quality leather and made in the USA (no additional shipping charge when purchased with saddle).
Contact Steve Edwards for More Information on in-stock saddles and matching tack. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (602)999-mule